Monday 20 July 2009

To A Legend



Michael Jackson.

A household name. Transcended time, wealth and race. Everybody knew who he was. From the big city man in his office, to the modest farmer in his shack.

Everybody.

It was his music I grew up with. It was his movies and pseudo-documentaries I watched as a child. It was him who took the role as my first childhood crush.

Considering the fact that I didn't really listen to much music as a child that says a lot. I remember sitting in the living room and watching Moonwalker with my cousins. Trying desperately to imitate his anti-gravity lean, oblivious to the fact that without a harness and those special patented shoes it's virtually impossible.

On 25th June, I was at my cousins house talking about something. What was it I don’t remember. But this is what I do remember. I was in her kitchen when our great-aunt called us, to inform us that there were reports about Michael Jackson passing away.

Boy was I surprised. I was just listening to the radio that morning and Kiss FM were giving away tickets to his upcoming London shows.

But more surprisingly, I found that I was upset by the news of his death.

I'm not going to lie and make out as though I was his biggest fan. Because I wasn't. As a matter of a fact, I must admit that up until his death a few weeks ago I paid him and his affairs almost no attention for five years. But I knew then and still do now, that he was one of a kind. Regardless of whatever he was accused of; from the molestation charges, to the allegations that he bleached his skin, we cannot deny that he revolutionised the face of music.

And his revolution wasn't just for the benefit of black people as many journalists have been claiming. But for everyone. He was the first to use music videos as a form of storytelling, a a type of art if you will. Prior to him music videos were solely a way of promoting your album. There wasn't much thought about the concept, or the style of the video. You just got the artist, put them in a room, played the music and wham bam thank you ma'am.

It was him who was one of the first to use complex choreographed moves in his tours, performances and videos.

It was him who inspired many of the artists we see on our television screens today.

And it is for these accomplishments I hope he shall be remembered for. Not the latter part of his life, which was tarnished by rumours and allegations.

He paved the way for artists, black AND white, to try something new. That they should aspire to be more than just successful artists but endeavour to be successful individuals in every aspect of their lives. As it stands, Michael holds the world record for most number of charities supported. He's donated a large amount of his wealth and time to helping those less fortunate.

But it is this kind hearted nature I feel that has been both his blessing and his curse. As I mentioned, he revolutionised and redefined what it meant to be an entertainer. It wasn't just about what his fans could do for him but rather what he could do for his fans, for the world.

I'm not going to get too deep into the whole 'is he guilty' argument but I will say that whenever an individual is perceived to be emotionally susceptible (as I fear Jackson might have been) there will always be those who are cruel enough to take advantage of that. He missed out on his childhood and stated he wanted to try and prevent impoverished and ill children from missing out on theirs. Yes, he may have acted in unconventional ways, but I would like to remind others that he has been found not guilty on ALL counts. So let us stop treating him like a criminal and focusing on the darker parts of his life. Because let's face it. I wasn't there and you weren't there. And what happened to 'innocent until proven guilty'? He's been found to be innocent, there was no evidence to link him to the crime. So let's leave that be.

As for his children, Paris, Prince I and Prince II, the home movies that are surfacing depict Michael as a caring, protective and doting father and my heart mourns for their loss of a father. If you think the fans have it bad remember these children lost the only parental figure in their lives. I doubt they want to be reading about the rumours and gossip surrounding their father at a time like this.

I'm not really a crier and I didn't cry when I heard about Michael's death but the image of Paris at her father's memorial, sobbing, as she talked about 'the best daddy' brought a tear to my eye. You can really see how much their father meant to them. And its sad to know that he won't be around to protect them from the media scrutiny Jackson's parents and family members have so carelessy thrust them into. I really do hope, that whoever ends up as their caregiver, is able to be half the parent to them as MJ was.

I wish I could talk about all his accomplishments but there's just so much to say and I don't think my words would do them justice. I just wanted to make a small tribute/post acknowledging his undeniable talent and his untimely passing.

But what I can mention are my own memories. Whenever I'm asked about my favourite MJ song, I'm unable to decide. That's how much I like his songs. Ask me my favourite Big Bang song and I'll easily tell you 'Wrong number'. MJ on the other hand, I'm stumped. I can't pick between them. I love Billie Jean for it's catchy line 'she's just a girl who claims that I'm the one'. Adore Beat it for the awesome video,love 'Wanna be starting something' for the loltastic epic lyrics and admire black and white for the message it carries.

Many have tried to imitate his style, his voice, his powerful moves but none have to this day succeeded and I honestly feel that none will. The vocal 'hiccup, the 'crotch grab',the moonwalk and military style jackets were all part of the persona that has come to be identified as part of MJ's trademark.

Michael was one of a kind, a true entertainer. Not this pseudo-entertainer-manufactured malarky I see so often occupying the music channels.

Michael Jackson said, "Through, my music I know I will live forever"

And I know for sure, that my grandchildren's children, will know of and admire the musical juggernaut that went by the name of Michael Jackson.


R.I.P

1958~2009


When you were born,
You cried and the world rejoiced
You lived your life so that when you died
The world cried and you rejoiced.

Banner made by Joeystar. Told you she was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment